Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

Frequently Asked Questions And Answers About EAD

1. What is an Employment Authorization Document (EAD)?

An Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is issued by the USCIS to authorize a foreign national to work in the U.S. for a specific period of time, usually one year. It is also called a work permit.

2. Is the EAD and Work Permit Same?

Yes. EAD and work permit are same. EAD stands for Employment Authorization Document, which gives the holder permission to accept work in the U.S.

3. What Does an EAD Look Like?

The EAD is a plastic card with the cardholder’s identifying information and photo, the permit’s expiration date on it, A-number and the receipt number of the I-765 application.  It may also include the applicant’s fingerprint.

4. Does the Applicant Have to Work Only for One Employer After Obtaining EAD?

No, if an applicant has received an EAD, he or she can work for any employer, anywhere in the U.S. This document places no limitations on whom the applicant can work for, how many employers the applicant has or how many hours he or she can work.

5. Can Someone Apply for EAD if They Have an Application for Adjustment of Status Pending?

Yes. Applicants whose application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is pending are entitled to apply for EAD.