Adjustment Of Status

Check Out Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

1. What is Adjustment of Status?

Adjustment of Status (AOS) is the process by which beneficiaries of family based or employment based immigrant petitions or diversity visa lottery winners who are already inside the U.S. may change their status to that of legal permanent resident (green card) status without having to leave the U.S.

2. Does the Applicant Have to be Present in the U.S. to Apply?

Yes. The AOS application can only be filed if the applicant is inside the U.S.

3. Can Someone Apply for AOS if He or She is Outside the U.S.?

No.  The AOS application cannot be filed if the applicant is outside the U.S.

NOTE: If someone is outside the U.S., he or she should apply for consular processing, not adjustment of status.

4. How Do I Apply for Adjustment of Status in the U.S.?

To adjust your status in the U.S., you must submit Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, along with all the required supporting documentation and fees.

5. Can an Applicant Whose Adjustment of Status is Under Processing Apply for a Work Permit?

Yes. AOS applicants are eligible to apply for a work permit while their cases are pending. They must file Form I-765 to apply for a work permit.