Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

Frequently Asked Questions And Answers About EAD

6. Can Applicants Who Did Not Apply for EAD Concurrently With Their Application for Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) Apply Later?

Applicants who did not file for EAD with their adjustment of status application may apply for EAD at the later date.  A filing fee does not have to be included as it is already included in the fee for the AOS.

7. How Long Does it Take to Get an EAD Approval?

Generally, EAD application processing takes 2 to 3 months. But for an asylum applicant, it usually takes only a month.

8. What Can Applicants Do if They Do Not Get Their Employment Authorization Document Within 3 Months?

Applicants who have not received their EAD after 90 days of filing/ mailing their application to the USCIS, may put in a service request at day 75 in order to expedite the processing.

9. What is an Interim EAD?

An interim EAD is a temporary employment authorization card that was once issued by the USCIS local office so one begin working while waiting for the original EAD if there were delays. USCIS generally no longer issues interim EAD.

10. Who is Eligible for an EAD That is Valid for Two Years?

The two-year EAD is available to all pending adjustment applicants (i.e., those who have filed a Form I-485 filed under any category, whether family-based or employment-based) who are currently unable to adjust status because an immigrant visa number is not currently available or has retrogressed since the filing of the AOS.  USCIS will continue to grant EADs that are valid for one-year for all other adjustment applicants who have an available immigrant visa number and are filing for employment authorization.