Green Card Reentry Permit

Frequently Asked Questions And Answers

6. What is the Process of Applying for a Reentry Permit and What Documentation is Required?

All the applicants intending to apply for reentry permit must use Form I-131 and include any other travel documents, pictures, and appropriate fees with their application to USCIS. Permanent and conditional residents must attach proof of their lawful permanent or conditional resident status, including but not limited to:

  1. A copy of the front and back of the applicant’s Form I-551 card or “green card”;
  2. A copy of applicant’s passport’s biographic page with the I-551 stamp and, if applicable, the page that indicates his or her initial admission as a U.S. permanent resident;
  3. A copy of the receipt notice or approval notice for the Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

7. Does a Reentry Permit Guarantee Entry Into the U.S.?

No, a reentry permit does not guarantee entry into the U.S.

8. Does the Reentry Permit Protect A Legal Permanent or Conditional Resident’s Status?

No, the reentry permit does not “protect” an individual’s legal permanent or conditional resident status in the U.S. The legal permanent or conditional resident must maintain strong ties in the U.S. to protect their residency status. Prolonged absence from the U.S. may evidence that they are not maintaining ties with the U.S. and have thus abandoned their status.

9. Can an Application for a Reentry Permit Be Filed from Outside the United States?

No, lawful permanent and conditional residents must be physically present in the United States when they file the Reentry Permit application.

10. What Would Be the Consequence If a Lawful Permanent or Conditional Resident Departs the United States While their Application for Reentry Permit is Still Pending?

Departure from the United States before a decision is made on an application for a Reentry Permit should not affect the application.